Thursday, November 3, 2011

Old Steps Towards Forgotten History

In my black leather jacket I feel the first drops of a cool mist. Walking down old streets and cracked concert sidewalks. The wind whipping, turn color leaves swiftly fall upon the road as cars zoom pass. I can't help but admire a certain beauty which holds me to watch the same event again. I smile and continue to walk unto paths of old city streets which at one time were the grand centers of businesses and restaurants. The mist begins to drizzle down droplets that begin to soak my dark brown hair. Out of the corner of my eye I see old steps that once lead to a house. I've walked this street before, and I've often wondered if someone would buy that old decayed house that once had stood proud and honorable. Till college students and their wild, carelessness parties ruined the house from the inside out. I would had hoped that one would had taken mercy upon the house and restored this once magnificent house which must had been home to a graceful southern family. But, those days are long gone. No more are the southern plantation owners or the respectable business man who knew everybody that walked in his store. Certainly times have indeed changed. All the while I stared in the dark at these steps which lead to nothing but rumble and dirt. Looking up I saw that two old oak trees that had remained created a path. A path that was not to a house but to a grave where a once and proud house had stood. Later those steps will be gone as the sleek glass of the modern business world plants its foot where history use to be. Only to be forever lost.


This little story really got to my soul, because I saw those steps last night. I saw the history of an old house destroyed and lost to modern times. Call me the romantic classic!  Springfield Missouri may not be my birth home, or even where I grew up. But just like over the East, it has history in which people should never forget. Every building that predates the 60's has a deeply rich history that no one wants to see vanish unless you like the glass, and steel modern age. Which there isn't anything wrong with that either. Its just nice to see a old house where generations of a family grew in, where notable people become leaders or heroes. Every time I walk or drive in the older parts of Springfield I stop and soak up the old buildings that remain. And I pray they never fall or decay. If we forget our history can we even progress into the future?

1 comment:

  1. I love the last line. It is very true that we need to remember our past in order to progress. If not for the remembrance, then we cannot see where we need to go.

    ReplyDelete

Criticize me, applaud me, or simply share a thought. Thank you!