Friday, November 4, 2011

Free Yourself From The Cage

Building a Cage

Was I ever a hipster in subway?
Sitting down drinking coffee while
reading a liberal paper while they,
The hungry costumers eye their prey.

With my modern glasses 
glancing at every so article.
I get a tingling feeling that surpasses 
my previous assumption of the masses.

Here I thought I had it nailed and filed.
Thinking I'm the anti-conformist. 
Guess I was just but a child
In thinking I was above the piled.

Realizing who I am in subway.
How odd of a place for an epiphany?
I was no different from they,
The masses that woke for day.

I was never a hipster of modern age.
That was a name I gave.
Conformity is nothing but a stage
That we use as a cage.


I was sitting in subway writing this piece and I noticed that many people wear certain clothes, fitting in their own cliques. Walk a certain way, talk a certain way, yet one person may view this as conformity. Which conformity is falling into a group and acting a certain way. The thing is the word conformity  (50's thing) is negative but once we apply that to others we don't think about ourselves. Its like the goth who preaches about the evils of conformity but he as well is about of a group. Conformity is something we say without thinking about one self. That "hipster" realizes that he too had fallen into conformity. The main thing is that you have to be yourself, only you can free yourself that cage that we build. We can follow the groups, the cliques, and what not but remember to be yourself. Stay unique for every one is different. 

  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Criticize me, applaud me, or simply share a thought. Thank you!