Sunday, October 30, 2011

Those Superstitious Scots

Sitting here in a coffee cafe that opened last month. My laptop about to shut off if I don't plug it in but sadly there isn't a single outlet near me to do so. Tis'all be well though I'll just start where I left if my old trusty friend decides to shut off. Yesterday I drove from my house in Springfield to my grandparents little pad in another Missourian town. Which none of my family including me are native Missourians, we're all East Coasters landlocked. We have met great and wonderful people but our hearts cling back to the East, so much history, so much closer to the Atlantic. How I miss the bay, that old Chesapeake bay. I grew up near her, grew to love her and protect her, and join in and swim with her by doing so I embraced her. Though I shall see she her once more. I keep telling myself I'll end up being wealthy and buy a sailboat and sail that bay for myself, sail right down here into the great Atlantic ocean. Though in my current situation I might just end up building that sailboat from scratch, haha!

Halloween is tomorrow, I bet most of you have a great and groovy costume. Me? A costume...not yet but I figured I might take my friends violin and pose as Andrew Bird . Wouldn't be a bad thing, hes a great musician and hell of a songwriter! Though I've been drafting some Halloween works. Since I am a full-blooded ScotIrish American I figured I go more of the traditionally route of writing this piece. All the way to to old gaelic traditions.  Here you go lovely gentlemen and ladies,


Don't Make Light Of Hallows Evening

The last beads of sunlight
Drift off as the moon shines
With a bright haunting glare of night.
Thunder bellows to give children fright.

Air thins, oxygen seems so fine.
I smile, hushing the little weans.
Mischievous I tell of the evil kinds
Of bogies that hide in those old pines.

Hearing there screams
Of fright and terror I smile.
Watching their horror like movie scenes.
I laugh as tears run down like streams.

A crack of thunder so hostile
I jump in sheer fright!
A peek outside I stand beguile
As a dark figure of vile

Slowly points a bony finger in night
Of hallows evening and recites
'Upon that night, when fairies light'
I shut the door in utter fright.


 I quoted the first line of Robert Burns' Halloween in that Last stanza. I took a very light and humorous tone until the last stanza because Celtics are very superstitious people and making light on Halloween where in old times it was believed that during this time the barrier between the living and the underworld were at it's weakest point. Demons and spirits could walk the Earth if they wanted too and take souls or terrify the townsfolk. I hope you enjoyed this entry this good night. I sure did! Anyway take a good night and be safe this Halloween! Hope the demons don't get ya! Bidh mi 'gad fhaicinn!! (I'll be seeing you!)

2 comments:

  1. Terrific post Jesse. I'm going to show some realloy good blogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can link up with. You'll gain readers and you might enjoy following a few yourself. BTW I am a quarter Scot on my father's side and born in Newport, RI but raised in San Diego. I totally know how you feel about being landlocked. Our kind needs the sea.

    ReplyDelete

Criticize me, applaud me, or simply share a thought. Thank you!